Tuesday, February 14, 2006

St. Valentine's for the Atheist


So ... my neighbor, Alicia, and I spent the evening watching the Westminster Dog Show and eating pizza. If you had asked me fifteen years ago if I thought that this is where I would be on this Valentine's Day, I would have told you that you were a head case. But, here we are! Take a valium and deal with it.

A couple came into the bar tonight who had their first date at Irish Waters twenty-five years ago. I bought them a piece of cheesecake and wished them luck with the next twenty-five. After my shift, I sat for a couple of wines (whines) with a regular and came home to the aforementioned. There were many lonely hearts at the bar. I felt like telling them all to suck it up and register the fact that it was really sick to be sitting in a bar when they could be watching a kick-ass dog show on T. V. or ironing their outfit for tomorrow.

Strange, I still feel hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment